Management report - Introduction
The Galenica Group can look back on an extremely successful 2022 financial year. With an increase in sales of 4.7% to CHF 4,014.3 million and an adjusted1 EBIT of CHF 200.8 million (-5.8%), Galenica achieved very good results. Excluding the extraordinary results in the previous year from the COVID-19 initiatives (estimated at CHF 25 million) and the sale of property at the headquarters in Bern (CHF 9.4 million), adjusted1 EBIT growth amounted to a healthy 12.4%.
Highlights from the financial year 2022
Consultations and services
+60% compared to previous year
Vaccinations in over
Galenica Group pharmacies
Satisfaction and motivation among employees of the Galenica Group
After a normal seasonal flu wave and numerous cases of the Omicron coronavirus variant had led to strong growth in the first half of 2022, business for the entire Group was also influenced in the second half of the year by the early onset of a heavy flu wave.
Highlights of the 2022 financial year
- More than 121,000 customers made use of the services and advice offered in Galenica pharmacies in 2022, 60% more than in the previous year.
- With a wide range of advice and services on offer, the pharmacy has further established itself as the first point of contact for health issues.
- The specialty pharmacy Mediservice made a significant contribution to the strong growth of the “Pharmacies at Home” sector and offered more than 60 main indications by the end of 2022, for a total of around 90 complex forms of therapy.
- The linking of online and offline offerings gained further momentum, for example with online appointment bookings for pharmacy-based services via the Well health app.
- Innovative offerings have further strengthened the home care sector: both existing and new B2B customers benefited from the joint venture Emeda and the offerings from Lifestage Solutions, Bichsel and Medifilm.
- Thanks to acquisitions and by obtaining distribution licences, Verfora further strengthened its leading position in the Swiss consumer healthcare market and expanded its portfolio through the distribution partnership with Boiron, particularly in the area of complementary medicine.
- After a construction period of around 40 months, Galexis inaugurated its modernised distribution centre in Lausanne-Ecublens in summer 2022.
1) Excluding the effects of IAS 19 and IFRS 16. See chapter “Alternative performance measures”.